Want to know how this blog went from over 130K global alexa rank to bellow 70K ( global ) in 5
months and then accelerated from there to bellow 8000 global rank in less than 1 year? Read
Alexa.com is a service from Amazon that aims to collect information about websites, and one of the things they do is rank websites based on traffic. For
example, they maintain a
Global Top 500 Websites list as well as tracking the numerical ranking of individual websites.
Unfortunately, the way they do these rankings isn’t terribly scientific. Alexa provides a toolbar plugin for web browsers…once installed, it tracks the
websites you visit and reports that information back to Alexa. The issue with this is that the people that are likely to download the Alexa toolbar aren’t
representative of the “average web user”. Because Alexa is focused on topics like site rankings, web site information, search engine optimization, etc, the
people that install the toolbar tend to be webmasters and other people deeply involved in the technical side of websites such as seo experts. These people
tend to visit websites that are in that particular niche, creating a very skewed view of site rankings. Websites that draw a highly technical audience float to
the top of Alexa, websites that address a different audience sink in the ratings. Of course, for highly popular websites that get visited by everyone,
the effect isn’t as pronounced. A couple of examples of this are pretty easy to find.
This post from
bigoakinc.com does a great job of showing why their web site is “overrated” by Alexa, because it is centered around Internet Marketing topics. Since that
article was written, the skew has only gotten worse. Bigoakinc.com is currently ranked at 66,129 in Alexa while a really high traffic site, fulltiltpoker.net is
ranked at 124,852. Quantcast.com, who use a different method of measurement, have fulltiltpoker.net ranked at 15,980, with 77k+ monthly visitors.
Bigoakinc.com calculates that it gets roughly 6-7k visitors a month, or perhaps one tenth of the traffic of the poker website. Askfrank.net,
is fairly popular with around 175,000 visitors a month and our current Alexa 3 months average ranking, as of February 2013, is relatively low at 9,691.
So, why care about Alexa Ranking ?
There are some cases where Alexa ranking does matter. For example, there are some ad placement and affiliate programs that won’t accept your website unless
it’s got some minimum Alexa ranking. Additionally, there are other directories and services like reviewme.com, or payperpost.com that use Alexa rankings to
make decisions. It’s also a factor if you are trying to sell your website or domain, as most purchasers use factors like Alexa rank or Google Page Rank to
decide what your website is worth. However, for askfrank.net, none of the above really matters. We don’t use the services that depend on Alexa ranks, have no
plans to sell the website, and don’t deal with affiliates that care about things like ranking. Our honest reasons for caring boil down to a bit of pride and ego
about the ranking, and a lot of curiosity about why Alexa ranks some sites solow.
Alright, so how to increase your Alexa Ranking then?
We did quite a bit of research on this, and didn’t really find any suggestions that seemed feasible. Some of the ideas out there:
- Installing one ofAlexa’s site widgets
- We tried this, but it had no effect on the rating. Additionally, the widget was sometimes slow in rendering, and hence made our website slower.
- Otherstried experiments with the widget, and got no conclusive results.
- Also,Alexa says the widget has no effect on rankings
- Scripts and services that try to game the system either viaredirects,automating a web browserwith the aalexa toolbar to visit your site or service that cheat the system
- As for the “Alexa Redirects”, there wasn’t any evidence that it worked, andAlexa appears to have shut it downanyway.
- There is some evidence that automating hits to your website will work and can get you into the 50,000 range or so. However, we do have our ethics, andaren’t going to be trying any blackhat or dubious approaches
- Recently Tested it was a total waste of my time. Tested on one of my domains and haven’t gained any alexa rank what so ever. But hey, what could you expect from a service whichitself had 220K alexa rank. Same for the their so called “alexa traffic” is not affecting alexa rank. After sending over
50K US traffic I can confirm its not working.
- Also check alexa rank for the company that offers alexa rank increase, if for some reason they have nothing to show for, you got your answer. Decent oneswill show at least 80K or bellow 50K for their own website. Any company that itself has alexa rank over 100K is not going to help you. Be aware.
Long story short, we’re settling for the most obvious solution:
Writing an article that website marketing and SEO folks might care about. Yep…you guessed it. This is the article. The idea here is that a decent article
about why the usual tricks to increase Alexa rank either don’t work, or aren’t a good idea, might attract some new and different visitors. And if those visitors
were from the web marketing and SEO community, they might have the Alexa toolbar installed. Since Alexa bases it’s rankings solely on visitors with the toolbar,
the ranking should go up.
Starting today, the plan is to:
- Finish and publish this article to the website.
- Find a few key places to promote the article.
- Each week, post our current Alexa rating to the bottom of this page so we can track progress.
|DATE||Daily Average||1MO AVG||3 MO AVG||NOTES: January,27th 2012Started new count as I was getting behind on keeping my Alexa pet-project.Will keep it simple from now on and track 1MO & 3 MO average only.New updates once a week, every Friday for the
next 10 weeks.
My goal is to get 1MO AVG bellow 100K
by then. DONE, March 30th 2012
March 30th-April 30th,2012
From 100K to 50K in 30 DAYS
DONE April 20th ( in
20 days! )Alexa Rank Tool is ready for testing, and as you can clearly
see, it is working! Head on to my
Alexa Rank Service to order your package, starting at $33 for 100K alexa
pay the lowest price on the market. For example:
Pay only $34.99/month***
for 100K Global Alexa Rank
*** After 10% Rabat
How to redeem 10% discount? It is simple , just fill out and email above form to receive 10% off
Reg. Price for Global rank of 100K is $39.00/month ( will need up to 3 months to reach selected rank)
If you enjoyed reading the above, I would really appreciate your feedback.